Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Project Reason Button


From The Project Reason Website

Probably my favorite atheist quote is “Atheism is a belief like not collecting stamps is a hobby.”

So I was thinking, what would be the best symbol or logo to put on a pin? I do really like Dawkins’ scarlet letter A, but I feel a littlle confrontational when I wear mine, and I pick and choose the venues for it. How about a blank white button as an alternative? I don’t think white has been “taken” yet, and it seems right in so many ways. White is the absence of color and has a quality of purity. It is the opposite of confrontational, it can not be construed as a put-down or as self-righteous. It just doesn’t say anything. It will attract some questioning and then the wearer can then explain any way he/she chooses. It’d be the cheapest pin to make or have made and it will work in all sizes! There’s no need for an organization to sponsor it; unlike the “A” it’s not a logo and has no affiliation. It’s almost a semi-secret way of stating one’s position. And it’s so great that the blank white pin has not yet been used for anything!

I think this idea is in line with Sam Harris’ opinion that atheists don’t have to be strident, and include all manner of people.

Blank white button. What do you think?

Visit Project  Reason

1 comment:

whateveryouwantittosay said...

I love it! I'd rock one in a heartbeat.