Thursday, April 9, 2009

Restaurant Review: Pizza Gourmet Express


I'd driven by Pizza Gourmet Express a bunch and it looked cute, plus I am always on the lookout for tasty pizza be it NY style joints like Bronx and Luigi's, Chicago style like Lefty's, or Sicilian like Venice Pizza. Our office has a bi monthly outing to check out San Diego lunch places and do some office bonding over food. This outing did NOT disappoint. PGE is cute and clean with outdoor and indoor seating. There isn't too much space but we comfortably had 8 people in our party and there was room for more customers. This place is definentely diffrerent than the beloved places above, KNOW THIS. There are pies that range from the classics like pepperoni and Hawaiian to BBQ, Mediterranean and even a Duck, Pesto, Gouda, fig one (I was going to try this but they were out of duck, great excuse to return!). The service was AWESOME and I was delighted to find they had beer and wine as well as Coca Cola, in the glass bottle! You can order a personal sized 10" pizza or a 14" pizza to share and you can build your own pizza with the many many ingredients they have on hand. I was suprised to find that the first pizza hit our table about 8-10 minutes after ordered!! They have convection ovens so you don't have the loooong wait I associate with pizza. They did have two different pizzas available for by the slice if you can't even wait 10 minutes. I had the BBQ pizza which had smoked gouda, shrimp, cilantro, carmelized onion, and delicious BBQ sauce. BOOOOOOMB!!!!! SO GOOD!!! Dude, their ingredients are off the hook. I was very impressed and I'm a foodie. You can either get a traditional crust or a flat wheat crust. I tried the flat crust and adored it. Since the ingredients are delicious and adventourous the crusts purpose here is really only to hold them, not to be the showcase and that's how I like my pizza, incredible toppings and a great crust that doesn't usurp. Did I mention the owner was a sweetheart? Check this place out, University Heights has some incredible food choices so make this one of your stops. You won't be dissapointed!! Try and branch out if your a cheese/pepperoni type of person, everything is delicious!

Pizza Gourmet Express
4615 Park Blvd
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 546-7430


Check Out The Menu


No comments: