Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hillcrest Italian Food Gem: Bacione


It doesn't help that Bacione is in a shopping complex slapped up against a Radio Shack and Pick Up Sticks (It's by Ralps and Trader Joe's on University). Also doesn't help that the font on the sign sort of looks like you'll be eating fancily prepared musaka and not home style tortellini. We walked into Bacione and found a laid back atmosphere and friendly no frills service from the daughter of the cook herself. Ok so I had overdressed but I felt instantly at ease and even had a fun conversation with our server (who was also our host) about what to order. She recommended the rigatoni which was the house specialty but we got the Eggplant Parmesan instead and we started with wine, bruschetta and ordered a pesto basil tomato pizza for dinner as well.

Ok right off the bat, I'll just cut to the chase: This was the best Italian food I have ever had. And I dine! And I've been to Italy! Bruschetta is a basic italian starter but easy to mess up. This bruschetta was perfect because of the ingredients, the ingredients make or break an Italian dish. I have never tasted such flavorful exquisite olive oil, oh and the crunch of the bread!! Then the eggplant parmesan comes out and I died and went to heaven again. I'll say the eggplant was just normally awesome but the side of spaghetti that came with it was FUCKING INSANE. And this is just your basic noodles and red sauce spaghetti you guys. Its just the noodles were sent from god, perfect, and tasted like I was sitting in some house kitchen in an Italian Villa. The sauce, perfecto. Ok and then the pizza with pesto, mozzarella, tomato and basil. It followed suit and was incredible. Crunchy light crust that was still somehow soft and intensely flavorful ingredients in their perfect amounts. I think I exclaimed and hummed happily through the entire experience, yes EXPERIENCE. We had a gift certificate to pay for most of it but found out we were $10 short of the required amount we needed to spend. At this point I was so full I was about to sleep in the booth so we ordered the rigatoni, house specialty to go. We ate it for lunch the next day and fucking died and went to Italian food heaven. Mushrooms, garlic, roasted red pepper and herbs in a spicy marina sauce over the best rigatoni pasta I've ever had. We flipped out and tried to make it last, savoring each morsel....WHEN CAN I GO BACK? Best 4000 calories I've ever eaten in all of San Diego. Please try it, they are family run and cook like you'd never believed. The Yelp reviews are mixed but at least try for yourself!!

No comments: