Thursday, January 8, 2009

Seattle Boozing



In Seattle if you want to buy hard alcohol you have to go to a special privately owned (yet state regulated) store to buy it. You can beer and wine at your local grocery store or liquor store but if you want a tequila sunrise, gin and tonic or whiskey coke you have to head to a separate location. While on vacation with a friend we needed some vodka to add in with our cranberry juice. We arrived at a clandestine store under a dark bridge in a part of town where I'm sure more than a fair share of people have been mugged or murdered. I almost thought we were going to a speakeasy, that hard alcohol had been outlawed without our knowledge and we were doing something illegal. Security guards checked ID at the door, hell I thought, there better be a dance floor, karaoke and a bar in there for all this trouble. And then we walked into a super bright huge room where hard alcohol lined the walls. Liquor of all sorts. Instant smiles sprang to our faces. Oh the endless possibilities on the road to drunkdom.

Yea but bottom line. The whole system TOTALLY blows. I like picking up my tequila while I buy my cigs, orange juice, advil, and Funyuns thank you very much. Gotta love California for that. Sunday alcohol sales became legal in Seattle only three years ago!! But to be fair, I did find that the reason liquor is sold separate is to protect the booming and precious beer and wine industries of Washington, not to create some sort of Big Brother/Prohibition Esque State. Yeeeeaaa....still blows:)

No comments: