Monday, January 19, 2009

Restaurant Review: The Glass Door


I noticed The Glass Door when I craned my neck upwards while walking out of Blick in Little Italy. It sat on the top floor of recently renovated, four story high, Porto Vista Hotel. It is on the corner of Fir and Columbia. The sun was setting and spectacular and people were dining on a sun bathed deck overlooking the harbor, sailboats and Cabrillo Point. It was gorgeous and I knew I had to check it out.
I went on a Friday night with four friends and reservations at 8 PM. We sat right inside but there are enormous sliding glass doors between the restaurant and deck and when theyre open it feels like youre outside. There is a large beautiful bar and sort of a modern morrocan theme going on, tons of great lamps and chandeliers were hanging everywhere. There was a flat screen tv if you want to plop down and watch tv but it took away from the dark amber glow in the restaurant. The faire was New American and the wine list included great interntional and local wines. Price were resaonsable for a nice place and they serve food for every meal Supposedly their brunch is awesome!! Our host and server were very nice, helpful and patient and the other people in the restaurant were kind too, no snooty downtownies! We ordered the house Cab, which was delicious ($32/bottle) and four appetizers to try. The starters were VERY reasonable so if youre on a budget get wine and some things to share with your party. We had pomme frites of course, a delioucious large serving of skinny french fries. We had crab cakes as well. They were large and less crispy on the outside than I like and VERY crabby, I like things a little less intense on the flavor side there. We tried the macoroni and cheese which was DELICIOUS. It was more creamy than cheesy and had anduoliie sausage. We also ordered the chicken Jidori which came with a large side of lettuce and dressing. The chicken was dry and a bit flavorless though, sort of disspointment. All in all, I had a great time just because the wine was good, I was with friends, the staff was great and the atmopshere outstanding. If I went back id check out a meal I could enjoy at sunset! I'd also probably just order wine and enjoy cigarettes and pomme frites or branch out a bit more and get one of their more expsensive but delicious sounding entrees. Let me know if you go and what you have!!
Check out The Menu at The Glass Door
For reservations call 619. 544. 0164
Hours:

Monday - Friday

Breakfast - 6:00 am to 10:30 am

Lunch - 11:30 am to 2:30 pm

Dinner - 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm

Late nite - 10:30 pm to 1:00 am

They also serve brunch all day Saturday and Sunday, from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm.

No comments: