Friday, October 17, 2008

Who Knew? Indigo Cafe Rules


(I'd like to preface this review by clarifying that Indigo Cafe should not be confused with Indigo Grill in Little Italy, one of those fancy shmancy "fusion" joints with cool decor and expensive food. I will say, I've had some great meals there though)

If you look at the front of Indigo Cafe on 6th Avenue (between Beech and Ash) it totally looks like a Greek Restaurant. The tell tale blue, white, lace, that font...it's is all over the facade. But one of the few things this place DOESN'T serve is Greek Food (well they do have a Caesar Wrap...). My friends and I were looking to get out of our India Princess, Lotus, Krakatoa rut for a Bon Voyage lunch and I'd driven past Indigo many times, hell I sorta actually wanted a gyro. The first to arrive I walked through the door and the sound of blues jazz, the smell of cajun seasoning, and pictures of jazz greats all over the walls greeted me. Greece was replaced by New Orleans. And they had a bar full of hard alcohol to prove it just inches from the door. I forced myself to order one glass of wine instead of my one and only cocktail: Tequila OJ, I was on my lunch break after all...I was helped right away by a very kind gentlemen who led me and my glass of wine to a table by the window. The menu was off the hook!
There was a a great twist on a standard for those less adventurous friends with marinated chicken, melted pepper jack cheese, guacamole, lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing wrapped in a cilantro tortilla for only 5.99 and lots of tasty cajun/creole picks like the Shrimp Po Boy consisting of Popcorn shrimp, cajun cole slaw, pickles, tomato and chili aioli on a french roll. They had burgers like Blue Cheese and Bacon and even a great sounding veggie black bean burger. There were many wraps and deli sandwiches to choose from along with specialty sandwiches that would make your mouth water. And this was just for lunch!! They serve breakfast and dinner as well!! My friends joined me and we ordered an array of different items to share.The shrimp Po Boy was recommended by the kind waiter and did not disappoint. The wrap was a bit paltry but tasted great. One thing, the food took forever...led to my getting another glass of wine and subsequently getting buzzed...Hey no problem there! I'm a big fan of Indigo Cafe, it's close to my house, cozy, warm and serves alcohol. Mmm, like the Casbah with food, haha. Check it out!!
INDIGO CAFE
435 Sixth Avenue
There is a Clariemont Mesa location as well, check out their site!

No comments: