Friday, November 28, 2008

Cost of Living and Moving

There have been of a few of my friends and acquaintances that have moved over to the big, bad East Coast in the past year. It seems only natural after college and post-college years of sun, surf and totally radicool burritos that one might desire cold, changing weather, true winter fashion, and much more diversity than San Diego can offer. One problem: though SD might be expensive compared to the rest of the country, its got nuthin' on NY. Here, CNNmoney.com came up with a neat-o little Cost of Living Calculator to see where money might go.

Photobucket


For 20-30 year old averages' sake, I entered in $50,000 of annual SD income to see what you might need in Manhattan (a girl can dream, right?). The results shocked my thin-crusted pizza pie in the sky dreams:

Comparable salary in
New York (Manhattan), NY
$90,602

If you move from San Diego, CA to New York (Manhattan), NY....
Groceries will cost:
29%
more

Housing will cost:
99%
more

Utilities will cost:
75%
more

Transportation will cost:
8%
more

Health care will cost:
19%
more

1 comment:

Heather Ace said...

Peace of mind and true happiness?? 1000% more. Can't wait to spend all my money there haha. Once thing to discount is if you own a car. I will have an extra $500 a month in car payments, insurance and gas after I sell my car when I move to NY. Woohoo!!!