Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tartine: European Bistro on Coronado's Coast


I got a text from one of my best friends, Sarah, this morning a bit after 7 AM. My alarm had gone off but I was doing what we call goooing in bed (i.e. rolling around in bed, in and out of sleep, with little intention or desire to wake up). All she had to do was put the word "Coffee" in her text and I was at Tartine on First and Orange (right across the street from the Ferry Landing on Coronado Island) in no time. Only four of the many tables were taken, the place was serene with great soft lighting and seating indoor and out. There was a huge case of the most delicious pastries and baked goods you've ever seen and all your favorite coffee drinks, exotic and classic, ready for your ordering. I always choose salty over sweet so I went with a Spinach and Tomato slice of quiche and a drip coffee. Sarah sat down to join me and I dug in.


Right off the bat: Best Quiche of My Life. I don't even SUPER like quiche but I've had it a lot. It looks like pizza...sometimes I get confused...BUT this slice made me a believer. Two reasons: It had equal parts of delicious gruyere cheese and egg and the crust was exceptional. Somehow they made a thick, dense crust flaky? I dunno, but I tore right through it and I'm a person weary of eggs, especially coupled with morning grogginess and only into the first 1/4 of my coffee. I also loved the fruit salad that came alongside. I work right under the Coronado bridge so I got to hang out and enjoy the view of the harbor skyline and wake up without being late for work. Tartine is open for three meals a day and features tasty Euro Cafe items ranging from an assortment of paninis to Roasted Duckling! Whether it's for coffee and creme brulee in the morning or Curry Chicken Salad and Steak at night, Tartine is a great place to dine alone or with friends any time of the day. Say HEY! to Sarah if she's working there :)

No comments: