Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Coffee House Review: Ken Coffee


Kensington Coffee Company

4141 Adams Ave

(619) 280-9114

I bet you know where the best coffee place in San Diego is. We all do, and they are most likely all in different locations. You like the one where the coffee is as hot as the earth’s core, she likes the one where you get a cookie alongside your cappuccino, he likes the one where the people watching is the best. Just because you already pledge allegiance to a coffee house doesn’t mean you can’t branch out. I myself, don’t have a particular favorite but I’m ready to call somewhere home. Working in an office has got me so hooked on coffee that I definitely need it on weekends now but I just won’t break down and get a coffee maker, that’s for people with coffee addictions and right now, I just have a habit ok? I can quit anytime I want. OK???? 

I had to pick up some free Del Mar Fair tickets I scored off a blog contest in Kensington and decided I might as well try a place out there, something new. Me and a friend decided on Kensington Coffee Company for coffee and breakfast. I’d like to admit here: it was 3 pm. This is a tough time for people who can’t quite yet make that difficult, deep question that usually follows a rough night and a half day of hangover time. It’s the glorious moment you realize you can hold food down again:

Should I eat breakfast or lunch????

Go to Kensington Coffee, they’ve got a diverse menu of both and the prices are so good you can get a BLT AND an omelet if you wanted to.

They have delicious classic items you’d expect from any coffee shop like bagel, pastries, fruit bowls and juices but they are also a full functioning cafĂ©. The menu boasts items like breakfast bagels and chicken quesadillas to awesome sounding salads and sandwiches like the Tuscan Chicken. My friend ordered the chicken quesadilla and it was loaded with well spiced shredded chicken and perfectly melted cheese in a flaky tortilla. This was a big ass thing, seriously, the super nice cook even came outside to warn her he’d made it so big that he might need to cook it longer. Turns out it was bomb and it came with a side of grapes to munch on. Unfortunately all I could stomach at the hour was a house coffee which left me in a much better mood and with an excuse to come back. And I’d like to announce: the coffee is damn good. Atmosphere wise it’s spacious and sunny with lots of different types of people hanging out on ample couches and tables. There is outdoor seating also which is great for smugly glancing over at all the shameless Starbucks Squares right across the street. Even at 3 pm on a Saturday Ken Coffee was hopping so I bet things can get pretty crowded in there at peak times. The staff is polite and in good spirits, awesome, hard to find these days it seems. And like I said before, all this comes with pretty inexpensive prices ($4-$7 range!) which justifies the drive over if your neighborhood is a bit far away like mine.

No comments: